Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Making Cakes

When Brianna turned 2, I decided I wanted to make her cake. I have fond memories of the cakes that my mom made for me for my birthdays growing up, and I wanted to do the same for my kids. My first attempt was a Dora the Explorer cake, and I was immediately hooked! My next cake was an Ariel cake for her third birthday. This year she had a Hannah Montana cake, which was fun because it wasn't the star tip decoration that all the other cakes I had made had been, so I got to try some new techniques. I also made Micah's baptism cake, which was really challenging because I had never done a sheet cake before! But it turned out cute, and each oppurtunity to learn and practice is great! On of these days I will take the Wilton cake classes. One day!

Today I got to make a cake for mom's department at work. They have a celebration tomorrow for their Fall graduates and needed a cake. Krogers didn't come through for them so mom asked if I'd like to make it. I thought, "Why not? I'll give it a shot!" Well, it was another sheet cake (I'm not sure whether or not I like sheet cakes!!!!) but was easier than last time. It took about 2 1/2 hours to ice and decorate (it's hard to get the icing level and smooth, even after all that time I had bubbles popping up on the top like air bubbles!!! Grrr!!!) and the kids were in hog heaven as they snuck icing out of the bowl! (There is nothing in the world like homemade buttercream!!!!)

I'm pretty proud of how it turned out and thought I 'd share some pics! I hope they'll like it! It's gonna taste yummy (there's not really a way to mess up fudge marble, especially when Betty makes it!) I'll be posting another cake later this week since Jonah turns 3 on Saturday, so I'll be working on his cake on Friday (a dinosaur cake using the Wilton dinosaur pan). I've never made a cake for him! I've always backed myself into a corner and not had enough time! I promised myself that wouldn't happen this year, so I bought the pan a month ago!!!

3 comments:

Jolanthe said...

I have a surprise for you!! :) You need to email me back as soon as possible {by the 20th} to find out why!

Jolanthe @ Homeschool Creations

In Light of the Truth... said...

Fun! The cake looks great! I tried a new cake decorating technique just yesterday for Kevin's birthday! It didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped (made a couple mental notes on things to change) but I'm still hoping to do a post on it! So stay tuned!

Kaysi @ Keeping it Simple said...

Wow that does look good, and really yummy. I now have a craving for cake, thanks a lot! :)