So yesterday I shared that we were going to make homemade pizza for dinner using the recipe for crust from Crystal at Money Saving Mom. We made sausage, pepperoni and bacon pizza and I swear it was the best pizza I've ever had! The crust was so easy to make that from start to finish it took 30 minutes or less, I kid you not! Jonah was so excited he said he could eat pizza for every meal and suggested we have pizza for breakfast. Well, Steven embraced that idea so this morning we whipped up another batch of pizza dough and started brainstorming. In the end we came up with this:
It was so amazing we knew that we had to immediately share it with you! It's basically our favorite breakfast casserole on a pizza crust! What's not to like?!?!
1 package of country gravy
1- 1 1/2 cups frozen hashbrown potatoes
1 Cup of sausage browned
1/3 Cup bacon bits
2 Cups of shredded cheese (we like to use mild cheddar and mozzarella)
1. Make your dough. I really do love the recipe from Crystal. So easy and so yummy! I don't think I will ever use another recipe. Spread dough out on greased pizza pan and place in a 450 degree oven for about 5 minutes to pre-bake so the crust doesn't get all soggy after the toppings are added.
2. Brown sausage and drain on paper towel to soak up extra grease. Or if you made pizza the night before for dinner like we did just use the extra sausage! ;-) If you are browning a whole sleeve of sausage you will end up with more than a cup. Put the extras in the fridge for an awesome pizza on Friday night!
3. Soft scramble 6 eggs. We added a dash of onion and garlic powder and some fresh ground salt and pepper. When I say soft scramble I mean cook them until they are starting to form but are still pretty runny. If you cook too long when you put them in the oven they will turn rubbery.
4. Mix up a packet of country gravy according to package directions.
5. Microwave 1- 1 1/2 cups of frozen hashbrown potatoes for about 3 minutes. Basically you are just trying to warm them up and evaporate some of the extra water so it doesn't make your crust soggy. (I think next time we might use the potatoes O'Brian with the peppers and onions. That would add another dimension that would be awesome!!)
6. Once the pizza dough is pre-baked and the country gravy, eggs, sausage and potatoes are ready start assembling your pizza. We put the gravy down first (1 Cup of gravy, or 1 packet was perfect to cover the pizza crust). Then spread out the potatoes. On top of the potatoes layer your bacon bits and sausage. Pour the eggs over top and spread across the top. Add the cheese.
7. Bake on 450 for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melty and the crust is golden brown.
8. Let it cool for a few minutes before you try to cut into it or you will loose all your toppings. Plus, you'll burn the roof of your mouth and tongue and then nothing will taste good for at least a week!
So there you have it! Our new favorite breakfast pizza! So easy, so yummy! So perfect for your next brunch. I think it would be great served with some fresh fruit. I hope you enjoy!
Oh, and if you decide you want to make pizza for dinner tonight I highly recommend this sauce from Smashed Peas and Carrots. It was delicious!